Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Drinking All the Plotting Kool-Aid

GUYS.
I didn't know. I really didn't understand.
I'm just sorry I didn't believe.
BUT NOW I BELIEVE.

So, I just finished the outline to my MG WIP and sat down to write the first draft. I'll admit, it felt weird and somewhat restrictive. I knew there were points I had to hit according to my outline. I didn't feel that 'magic' feeling of discovery that I've felt before when starting a new project - without a clue as to how to proceed, in a frenzy to discover the story. I'd already *done* that. Cue feeling of somewhat deflated balloons.

At this point I was wondering if Plotting was really for me. But I love my story idea and my CPs and agent are jazzed about the idea too, so I wanted to get into harness and start cranking out words.

TWO PAGES IN I realized that the frenemy character I had in mind - one I'd spent time creating a backstory for, mind you - was completely superfluous. I just cocked my head to the side and said to my WIP, "You know what Anushka? You're not really needed here." DELETE. Sure, Anushka was pissed, that's the kind of girl she is - she doesn't take slights well. BUT I knew two pages in that she wasn't going to work - NOT 200 pages in. See?

I am a Plotter*, dammit.

Kool Aid guy and Ben Franklin because History is Kool, Kids

*Reserving the right to retract, alter or deny knowledge of this statement if all goes horribly wrong in 100 pages. I will probably say that my Kool Aid was spiked with a Mickey Finn and that I don't remember anything.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, embrace that inner plotter, girl! I *thought* I was a plotter, but the first time I released the pansting hounds, I knew I was in trouble. Haven't ever been able to look back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa Ann - I did not know you owned pantsing hounds too! I've had to put mine in 'kennel' whilst trying to get this plotting thing down. I know I'll never be a completely buttoned up plotter, but I do know I am a much better writer for having crossed those two streams I guess. And now that I've injected a Ghostbuster's reference to a comment, my work for today is done! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...