Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Prep Work: A Conference Newbie Primer Pt 4 - Random Thoughts

I ate this (+bacon)
I'm in no way coherent. I have not slept too well, dashed around like a chicken sans head this morning getting ready and almost bought a pair of pants in the airport Gap kiosk for no reason other than they were there.

I'm nervous about the conference. Nervous that I won't take as much advantage of it as I should. Wishing I could be blase about anything, but I never am, everything is always of overmastering importance. How do we know when something is of overmastering importance? When they have overmastered us. Sorry, slipped into a bit of Dorothy L. Sayers there for a moment. So here's what I'm thinking about:

1) Airports are simultaneously the best and the worst places to be. Exotic, banal, boring, purgatory, exciting, stupid and fantastic. When I'm in an airport I remember all the other airports I've ever been in and there are a lot. The one in San Pablo, LAX, Heathrow, Madrid, Carrasco. Why are all airpot bathrooms so alike?

2) I hate all my clothes. Sorry to be all girly about this, but I always pack at the last moment and always regret something. I know I said it would get cold in the hotel, but how many cardies did I have to pack. I've brought FOUR. That's one for every day plus an extra. I can have a wardrobe change mid-workshop if I want. I also brought pants that make me look fat (see above Gap temptation) but have been dry cleaned. My sister said to me "You're never this nervous before a work event" It's true. I AM blase about 'work' because it's not my personal work out there. My professional life as an event planner is a piece of piss in comparison. I know what I'm doing, I have the credentials to prove it and I don't care what you say. Oh, Lord, if I could only have the same attitude with writing.

3) At least I ate a healthy breakfast. Steel Cut Oats with brown sugar and cranberries, plus decaf coffee (pacing myself). I'm hoping that I can will the three strips of bacon I wolfed down along with it from my memory.

4) I have to pee again. I really dislike peeing. I think it's because both my daughters used my bladder as a footstool in utero that now I can't hold me water. Wait, is that too much information? I did mention that I'm nervous, right? Will try to remember Anna's advice not to drink too much.

Good luck to everyone attending a conference this weekend, and for those of you that aren't have a drink and wear your grungiest sweats for me!

1 comment:

  1. Rest assured that most people who go to conferences have the same anxieties as you describe. Good luck! And remember the most important thing: have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...