Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Revised Query - GUTGAA - and BOOK ENVY

So I've submitted my revised query to Deana, the blogfest maven and here's hoping it wins the contest. Not to sound so sappy that I must be killed, but I've already 'won'. Not only do I have a brighter, shinier query, I also met more people, got more agent information and made more connections. I'm happy*. (I know, the saccharine content in this post is dangerous to your sarcasm's health)

*Except. Call no writer happy until she's either dead or published (and maybe not even then.) I'm fidgety. I'm ready, I know I'm ready. I'm waiting for my beta readers to get back to me this week with some final feedback and then I will be submitting partial and full requests come August. Then, when I get rejected (shoot low, people, that's my motto) I will continue on, querying, suffering, querying, suffering until I take a break at the end of October, picking up my bruised ego and throwing myself into writing something else during NaNoWriMo. That's my plan.

I finished Maze Runner last night, unfortunately. Unfortunate because 1) I was left with the gruesome image from chapter two of the sequel The Scorch Trials, 2) because the book is so damn good I have to run out and buy The Scorch Trials TODAY and 3) because I am doubting my own book. I know you can't help but compare, it's human and artistic nature - part of the 'art doesn't happen in a vacuum' thing. But I know my book isn't like this and that makes me ask, is my book as good as this book? Is it even close? Where's the danger, the excitement the BODY COUNT? Should I kill some more people?

It's stupid, I know, to think about revising your book based on another book, no matter how good it is, how much you enjoy it, how much you want your book to evoke the same feelings. I know it doesn't even make sense, that my story is very different and happy being so. But the niggly thought is there.

How do you get over book envy? And more importantly, how do you not let it effect what you're writing?


5 comments:

  1. I think book envy can be a positive thing - it's motivating, at least, if you don't let it discourage you.

    Congrats on the new query!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about "winning" the contest. The critiques we received were invaluable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's hard to avoid those situations. My advice would be to use it to your advantage. Let the envy inspire your writing. Maybe write a chapter that you may or may not use that explores what you think your novel should have. Then you can decide if it would fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ru, Emily for the encouragement. I am trying to learn how to ride the envy wave and not let it consume me. I wipe out a lot, it should surprise no one.

    Laura - what a GREAT suggestion! I don't know why I can't get over the idea of the ms as a sacred cow I can't play with. I'm going to go kill me some characters, just to see how it feels. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's easy to drive yourself crazy with rewrites. I'm terrible about OVER editing myself. No writer is ever truly finished. We just have to take the leap and submit it. Congratulations on finishing so much. Best of luck in the submission process!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...