Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

L is for Low

And for Levy

As in, the lowing of beasts. I love this use of the word "low". It's so much more evocative than "moo", which is basically what it means.

I remember years ago visiting a bed and breakfast at a farm. Being seriously urban at the time and having allergies to boot, I was up and outside trying to breathe (why oh why do bed and breakfast owners have to have cats?). It was so early that the sun wasn't strong enough to burn off the dew and the light fog. Out of the fog, somewhere to my left I heard cows lowing. It was mournful and it seemed to reverberate in the mist. It was beautiful. I don't know why, I don't know if it even makes sense, but the sound comforted me so much, I still remember it.

What unusual words can comfort you?

2 comments:

  1. I've never thought much about the word before, but you're right. It is lovely and comforting

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only reference for the word is from Away in the Manger. I hadn't ever really thought about it. Lowing seems like a mournful word, but I can see how it applies to the sound cows make.

    Stopping by on the A-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...